• Dr Khalid Alhooshani, Hassan, Sajid, Hashim Al Ghafly, Ionic liquid-based
membrane-protected micro-solid-phase extraction of organochlorine pesticides in
environmental water samples. Microchemical Journal. ( in progress )
• Al Ghafly, H et al., GUMBOS matrices of variable hydrophobicity for matrixassisted
laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun. Mass
Spectrom. 2014, 28, 2307.
Ph.D., Analytical Chemistry, Louisiana State University, LA May 2015
MS., Mathematics at University of Nebraska Omaha, NE August 2009
B.S., Chemistry, King Saud University, SA. 1995
Synthesis and studies of novel ionic liquids (ILs) as matrices and surfactants for Matrix-
Assisted Laser Desorption/Ionization Mass Spectrometry (MALDI-MS).
• The objective of this study was to develop a method for improved detection of hydrophobic
compounds such as membrane proteins or polymers through their dissolution in novel ILs,
which will facilitate their uniform deposition on a MALDI target prior to their characterization
by mass spectrometry.
• The synthesized ILs were polymerized to yield a molecular micelle, which was used as a novel
matrix for MALDI-MS.
• Synthesis and studies of ILs as matrices for Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption/Ionization
imaging mass spectrometry (MALDI-IMS)
• The objective of these studies was to develop better matrices for imaging of tissues due to the
formation of smaller crystals, improved homogeneity of the matrix with tissues, and better
• Ionic Liquid (IL) matrices were applied to identify and quantify hydrophilic and hydrophobic
peptides and proteins directly on tissues.
HONORS AND AWARDS
• 2015 Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, Louisiana State University.
• 2013 Graduate Student Fellowship, Louisiana State University.
• 2009 Awarded an extended scholarship from the Ministry of Higher Education of Saudi
Arabia to get a PhD degree in Chemistry at Louisiana State University (LSU).
• 2007 Awarded scholarship from Ministry of Higher Education of Saudi Arabia to get a
Master degree in Mathematics at the University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO).